300 yard swim demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. May use front crawl, breaststroke or combination of both
The Jr. Lifeguard program introduces youth to the fun and rewarding job of protecting and saving lives at the pool. This 2 week long session offers a variety of activities including swimming, lifeguard skills, running, calisthenics, team-building games, special guests, and Beach Days. Leaders also introduce the Junior Guards to Emergency Response careers such as Firefighting and Lifeguarding.
Prerequisite: Swim 25 yards freestyle without stopping, submerge and swim underwater for 10 feet, and tread water for one minute.
The American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor program teaches individuals how to teach participates to be safe in and out of the water and how to teach individuals of different ages and abilities to swim. In a logical progression, the program covers the knowledge and skills needed for aquatic skill development. As participates develop skills, they will become safer and better swimmers. The purpose of the Water Safety Instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach Parent and Child Aquatics, Preschool aquatics, Learn-to-swim, Adult swim and water safety courses and presentations. Estimated in-person length- 25 hours; on-line content- 7 hours and must complete online course orientation prior to coming to first day of class to present completion certification to instructor.
• Candidates must be 16 years old on or before the last day of the course and have an active email account
• Participates are expected to attend and to participate in the entire training program sessions. There will be no exceptions to this requirement.
• Be sure to bring a towel or two each day with water and a snack.
• Written exams will be at the completion of instruction on Friday July 6th (unless otherwise discussed and determined by class participates and instructor for an earlier date)
• Each participate will be given:
* Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety Manual
* Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Manual
• On successful completion, candidate will receive a Course Completion Certificate
• Front Crawl- 25 yards
• Back Crawl- 25 yards
• Breast Stroke- 25 yards
• Elementary Back Stroke- 25 yards
• Side Stroke- 25 yards
• Butterfly- 25 yards
• Back Float or Sculling in deep water for 1 minute
• Tread Water for 1 minute